- Budget management is the planning, tracking and controlling of budget and spend throughout the initiative.
- Costs can typically be split into rescources (i.e. the people) and non-resource (i.e. the conference/license costs).
- Two types of costs need to be considered:
- Forecast cost is an estimate of what we think the activity will cost.
- Actual cost is the real cost which is being spent.
Click the DOWNLOAD button to access the Budget Tracker template.DOWNLOAD
Hints & Tips
- Know how and when the money will be spent over the initiative lifecycle.
- It is useful to consider the costs to deliver the activity as well as have an understanding of the impact to the
- Update forecasts with actual spend.
- Liaise regularly with your Finance Manager and report regularly to budget owners.
- Budget management can be complex if the funding is from multiple sources so keep it formal and organised.
- Agree tolerances and contingency with the Sponsors / overseeing body for the initiative.