David Rock’s SCARF model outlines five domains of social experience which the brain treats the same as ‘survival’ issues.
Being aware of these interpersonal primary rewards and threats can help teams to discuss their experiences during the initiative.
Brief summary of the domains:
- Status = Having a place,
- Certainty = Knowing when things will happen,
- Autonomy = Having the right to choose,
- Relatedness= Having a social group (‘my people’),
- Fairness= Is this happening in a way that’s equal?
David Rock’s SCARF model
Click the DOWNLOAD button to access more information on this and other Leadership tools.DOWNLOAD
Hints & Tips
- Use the framework to consider what may threaten or reward yourself and members of your team during the project.
- Minimise threats emanating from these factors and maximise rewards wherever possible.